Generally referred to as gum disease, periodontal disease or periodontitis is a common but concerning gum infection. The buildup of germs and bacteria on your teeth and gums causes this infection. It is responsible for damaging the soft tissue around your teeth, which severely affects the strength of the supporting structure of the teeth. In its initial stage, this disease is relatively easier to prevent. But in the advanced stage, it may lead to tooth loss.
The classification of periodontal disease:
Gingivitis: The infection begins with gingivitis, which is inflammation of gums. When left untreated for a long period of time, it may further develop into a serious and painful dental condition.
Early Periodontitis: When gingivitis has progressed to weaken the supporting structure of the teeth, it is termed as ‘Early Periodontitis’. This stage is generally characterized by bad breath and receding gums.
Moderate Periodontitis: In this stage of the disease, the bone and fibers supporting teeth get damaged with a continued deterioration and discoloration of the teeth.
Advanced Periodontitis: The last stage of periodontal disease is marked by a severe damage to the supporting structures, sometimes leading to bone or tooth loss. Thus, periodontal disease treatment at an early stage is strongly advised.
If you are wondering if you have periodontitis, you may experience a combination of some or all of the following symptoms:
- Gum disease often leads to the swelling and reddening of the gums
- Spitting blood while brushing the teeth may be a sign that you have periodontitis
- When the condition worsens and starts weakening the teeth’s supporting structures, the teeth start to lose their firmness and become loose
- If you are dealing with persistent foul breath, your gums may be at the risk of developing the disease
- Gums pulling away from the teeth, making them appear longer, is called receding gums, and is a common symptom
- Though in the initial stages, toothache is not one of the primary symptoms, you may start to experience toothache in the moderate and advanced stages of periodontitis
Here are the top 6 factors that are usually associated with the development of periodontal disease:
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Like many other dental diseases, periodontal disease may be caused by inadequate brushing and flossing.
- Plaque Buildup: The accumulation of plaque, a sticky film of bacteria on the teeth, is a primary cause. Plaque can harden into tartar if not removed through proper oral care.
- Tobacco: Chewing or smoking of tobacco plays a major role in the advancement of periodontitis.
- Genetics: Genetic factors may make some individuals more susceptible to developing gum diseases.
- Low Nutrients Diet: A diet that lacks essential nutrients such as vitamin C may contribute to such gum diseases.
- Certain Medical Conditions: There are some medical conditions such as diabetes and hormonal imbalance that also increase the risk of periodontitis.
Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease
To steer clear of the risk factors for periodontal disease follow the prevention tips below:
- Regular Brushing: Brushing your teeth twice a day is always recommended to minimize risk of periodontal disease.
- Flossing: To clean the areas of your teeth that toothbrush may miss, flossing daily is strongly advised.
- Avoid Tobacco: If you chew or smoke tobacco, consider quitting in order to avoid gum infections.
- Healthy Diet: Eating a balanced diet is an essential factor in maintaining good oral health and avoiding such gum infections.
- Limit Sugary Foods: Excessive intake of sugary food and drinks directly contributes to formation of plaque.
- Regular Dental Checkups: To avoid unnecessary complications, you are advised to regularly visit your dentist to start periodontal disease treatment at an early stage.
If you are grappling with periodontal disease, here’s our recommendation:
For top-notch periodontal disease treatment in Gurgaon, we recommend you to head to Six Sigma Dentistry Gurgaon. Known for our commitment to excellence, our experienced team employs advanced techniques to provide personalized care, ensuring effective management of various stages of periodontal issues. From routine cleanings to specialized procedures, Six Sigma Dentistry offers comprehensive solutions for optimal oral health.
What causes periodontal disease?
It is a gum infection caused by the buildup of germs and bacteria on gums and teeth that weakens the support structure of teeth.
How can I prevent periodontal disease?
This disease can be prevented by maintaining good oral hygiene and avoiding food and substances that are not good for your oral health.
Which is the best dental clinic for treating periodontal disease?
Six Sigma Dentistry Gurgaon is the best dental clinic where you can trust the experienced team to take care of your gum infection.More