OPG or dental X-ray creates images of the mouth or jaw – bones, teeth and gums using low-level X-radiation. It is a panoramic scanning dental x ray of the upper and the lower jaw.
Orthopantomography (OPG), also known as an OPG X-ray or dental x-ray, is an X-ray scan that gives a panoramic or wide view of the lower face.
OPG are used by Dentists to provide information on:
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Periodontal bone loss
- Finding the source of dental pain
- Assessment for the placement of dental implants
- Orthodontic assessment
Principal Advantage of Panoramic Images
- Broad coverage of facial bones and teeth.
- Low patient radiation dose.
- Convenience of examination for the patient (films need not be placed inside the mouth).
- Ability to be used in patients who cannot open the mouth or when the opening is restricted e.g.: due to trismus.
- Short time required for making the image.
- Patient’s ready understandability of panoramic films, making them a useful visual aid in patient education and case presentation.